by Laura Amos | 0 comments | Print recipeTweet
A classic Tiramisu, or 'pick me up', made from mascarpone, double cream, coffee syrup and sponge fingers.
At a glance
- Cuisine Italian
- Recipe Type Dessert
- Difficulty Easy
- Preparation time 20 mins
- Cooking time 5 mins
- Serves 6 people
- 100 g (3.5oz) sponge fingers
- 1 sprinkling of cocoa powder
- 500 ml (17.6fl oz) water
- 125 g (4.4oz) caster sugar
- 10 g (0.4oz) instant coffee
- 500 g (17.6oz) mascarpone
- 250 ml (8.8fl oz) double cream
- 3 medium free range eggs
- 50 g (1.8oz) caster sugar
- For the syrup, boil the sugar and water together in a thick-bottomed pan, then add the coffee. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Suspend a bowl over a pan of simmering water and whisk the three egg yolks and half of the sugar together until pale and aerated, then set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the double cream until if forms soft peaks, then beat the mascarpone to make it softer and add to the cream until combined.
- In a clean bowl, whisk the three egg whites until firm, then gradually add the remaining sugar and whisk until firm.
- Fold all components together, the yolks, whites and mascarpone cream, and mix until combined.
- Soak the sponge fingers in the coffee syrup and spoon half on the bottom of a dish, followed by half the cream, and repeat until complete. Dust with a light coating of cocoa powder on top and serve.
Recipe taken from The Dessert Deli by Laura Amos, £20.00, Hardback, published by Paperbooks 31st October 2012.
You might also like