Mini orange and almond friands recipe
by Jo Wheatley | 1 comment | Print recipeTweet
I just love the flavour of the orange blossom running through the icing glaze in these moist little mouthfuls of pleasure!
This recipe makes 10-12 mini friands.
At a glance
- Cuisine French
- Recipe Type Cake
- Difficulty Easy
- Preparation time 15 mins
- Cooking time 25 mins
- Serves 10 people
- 5 large egg whites
- 190 g (6.7oz) self-raising flour
- 150 g (5.3oz) icing sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 120 g (4.2oz) ground almonds
- 200 g (7.1oz) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 2 oranges, finely grated zest only
- 100 g (3.5oz) icing sugar
- 0.5 small orange, juice only
- 1 tsp orange blossom water (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 170ºC/325ºF/Gas Mark 3. Whisk the egg whites to soft peaks in a freestanding mixer or with an electric whisk in a large mixing bowl.
- Sift the flour, icing sugar, baking powder and ground almonds together in a separate bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the beaten egg whites, folding them in carefully to avoid knocking out too much air.
- Fold in the melted butter and orange zest until combined.
- Half fill the prepared tin and bake in the preheated oven for 20–22 minutes until golden.
- Cool in the tins for 3–4 minutes and then turn out on to a wire cooling rack.
- Meanwhile, make the icing by whisking the icing sugar, orange juice and orange blossom water, if using, together to make a thick but drizzly icing.
Taken from HOME BAKING by Jo Wheatley, published in hardback by Constable, available exclusively from Sainsbury's at the special introductory price of £8.
You might also like