Leek hot pot recipe
by Grazia Giuliani | 1 comment | Print recipeTweet
This dish is a beautiful side dish for both meat and fish. It can also be served as a starter on its own or as a main course with a salad for lunch or a light dinner.
At a glance
- Cuisine Italian
- Recipe Type Side
- Difficulty Easy
- Preparation time 15 mins
- Cooking time 15 mins
- Serves 4 people
- 4 large leeks, trimmed and halved
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 30 g (1.1oz) butter
- 150 g (5.3oz) Fontina cheese, cubed (or substitute with Emmenthaler or Gruye`re)
- 200 ml (7fl oz) heavy cream
- 50 g (1.8oz) breadcrumbs, dry
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C / 350F / Gas Mark 4. Trim and wash the leeks. Cut them in half.
- Into a grill pan, pour the olive oil, heat it and, when hot, put the leeks on to braise for 5 minutes, constantly turning them. Grease 4 ovenproof moulds/bowls with butter.
- Cut the cheese into very small cubes. Mix the leeks with the cream, the cheese, salt and pepper then fill the moulds/bowls with this mixture. Sprinkle a generous amount of breadcrumbs over the top of each.
- Bake for 10 minutes until the breadcrumbs are golden and the cheese is melted. Serve hot.
Recipe taken from Versatile: Cooking & Living Italian. Image courtesy of ACC Editions.
You might also like