Paul Hollywood's marble cake recipe
by Paul Hollywood | 0 comments | Print recipeTweet
This vanilla-scented cake is a real treat and it looks very impressive. Serve it ready-sliced so everyone can appreciate the marble pattern.
At a glance
- Cuisine English
- Recipe Type Cake
- Difficulty Easy
- Preparation time 30 mins
- Cooking time 70 mins
- Serves 8 people
- 200 g (7.1oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 200 g (7.1oz) caster sugar
- 1.5 tsp natural vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 250 g (8.8oz) plain flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 40 ml (1.4fl oz) full-fat milk
- 2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup icing sugar for dusting
- Heat your oven to 180°C. Line a 1kg loaf tin with baking parchment.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, 180g of the sugar and the vanilla extract together until the mixture is light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then sift the flour and baking powder over the mixture and fold in with 2 tbsp of the milk.
- Spoon two-thirds of the mixture into the prepared loaf tin - it should three-quarters fill the tin. Sift the cocoa over the remaining third of the mixture and fold in, together with the remaining 20g sugar and the last of the milk.
- Spoon the chocolate mixture over the cake mixture in the tin, then run a fork through both mixtures, gently swirling the two together to create a marbled effect .
- Bake for 55-70 minutes, until the cake shrinks slightly from the sides of the tin and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean, testing the cake after 55 minutes. Remove the cake from the tin and leave to cool on a wire rack. Once cooled, dust with icing sugar.
Recipe from How to Bake by Paul Hollywood. Text by Paul Hollywood, 2012. Photographs by Peter Cassidy, 2012. Published by Bloomsbury Publishing Plc, 2012.
You might also like