Veggie burgers for kids recipe
by Annabel Karmel | 0 comments | Print recipeTweet
Kids like burgers so this dish is a great way to disguise vegetables. For added fun factor, you can decorate them as faces or serve in a bun with shredded iceberg lettuce, tomato and cucumber.
At a glance
- Cuisine English
- Recipe Type Main
- Difficulty Easy
- Preparation time 10 mins
- Cooking time 35 mins
- Serves 8 people
- 350 g (12.3oz) peeled white potatoes, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 150 g (5.3oz) carrot, grated
- 100 g (3.5oz) savoy cabbage, chopped
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 2 tbsp basil, chopped (optional)
- 2 tsp ketchup
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup oil for frying
- 30 g (1.1oz) fresh breadcrumbs/ 1 slice of white bread
- 25 g (0.9oz) parmesan, grated or 25g gruyere, grated
- 1 tsp fresh thyme chopped or half a tsp of mixed dried herbs (optional)
- To make breadcrumbs simply blitz a slice of white bread in a food processor.
- Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water for about 15 minutes until soft.
- Drain really well, then mash.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a frying pan. Add the onion and fry for 3 minutes. Add the carrot and cabbage and fry for 5 to 8 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and fry for one minute. Leave to cool.
- Add the potato, cheese, thyme, basil, ketchup and breadcrumbs. Mix together and season.
- Shape into 8 burgers and coat in flour.
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan. Fry the burgers for about 5 minutes turning over halfway through.
- Serve in a burger bun with shredded iceberg lettuce and tomato. You can make them look like monsters, as in the photo above!
Recipe provided by Aldi, where all the ingredients can be purchased.
You might also like