Spiced beetroot and apple muffins recipe
by Genevieve Taylor | 0 comments | Print recipeTweet
Sign in to save recipe
Delicious, moist, fragrant muffins... and healthy, too! Remember to add your crunchy hazelnut topping before baking.
At a glance
- Cuisine English
- Recipe Type Cake
- Difficulty Easy
- Preparation time 10 mins
- Cooking time 20 mins
- Serves 12 people
- 275 g (9.7oz) plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground mixed spice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- 125 g (4.4oz) unsalted butter, melted
- 60 g (2.1oz) caster sugar
- 175 ml (6.2fl oz) milk
- 1 pack natural cooked beetroot, grated coarsely
- 2 pink lady apples, cored & grated coarsely
- 75 g (2.6oz) self raising flour
- 1 tsp ground mixed spice
- 40 g (1.4oz) unsalted butter, cut into little cubes
- 75 g (2.6oz) demerara sugar
- 75 g (2.6oz) blanched hazelnuts, rough chopped
- Preheat the oven to 190°C. Line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper cases.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and spices into a large mixing bowl. In another mixing bowl whisk together the eggs, melted butter, sugar and milk.
- Pour into the flour and mix very lightly - don't worry if it looks lumpy. Finally, gently fold through the grated beetroot and apple and spoon into the muffin cases.
- To make the topping, stir the mixed spice trough the flour, then add the butter, sugar and nuts.
- Rub between finger and thumb until crumbly and well mixed. Sprinkle evenly over the muffins.
Recipe provided by lovebeetroot.co.uk
You might also like