Lamb browned in its sauce recipe
by Madhur Jaffrey | 0 comments | Print recipeTweet
A pressure cooker is used to make this tender lamb dish.
At a glance
- Cuisine Indian
- Recipe Type Main
- Difficulty Easy
- Preparation time 25 mins
- Cooking time 70 mins
- Serves 4 people
- 500 g (17.6oz) lamb neck fillet, cut into 2 cm chunks
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1.5 tsp olive or mustard oil
- 2 tbsp olive or sunflower oil
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp finely grated or crushed garlic
- 1 tsp peeled, finely grated root ginger
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 4 tomatoes, quartered
- 1 tsp garam masala
- For the marinade and meat: combine the meat with all the marinade ingredients and a teaspoon of salt in a bowl.
- Mix well, cover and leave in the refrigerator for at least four hours, or overnight.
- For the sauce: pour the oil into a pressure cooker and set it over a medium heat.
- When it's hot, add the sugar and stir occasionally as it dissolves.
- Add the onion and sauté for 30 seconds, then stir in the garlic and ginger. Fry for 10 minutes, or until the onion is browned.
- Spoon in the chilli powder and mix well. Increase the heat to medium-high and add the tomatoes. Cook for 1 minute, then add the meat and its marinade. Brown the meat well on all sides for 7 minutes.
- The tomatoes and meat will release plenty of juices. Mix, then seal the lid.
- Heat to full pressure. Reduce the heat to very low and cook under pressure for 20 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and allow the pressure to drop by itself. Open the lid and return the pan to a high heat. Bring to a boil and add the garam masala.
Recipe taken from Madhur Jaffrey’s Curry Nation, new and exclusive to Good Food, Sundays – Thursdays at 9pm from 4th November (Sky / HD 247, Virgin 260)
You might also like