Curried chicken coconut noodle soup recipe
by Catherine Fulvio | 0 comments | Print recipeTweet
This recipe is from our Vietnamese class in Ballyknocken Cookery School and has become a firm favourite in the Fulvio household. It is so hearty and a wonderful quick supper when all the children want to do is escape the dinner table.
At a glance
- Cuisine Thai
- Recipe Type Soup
- Difficulty Easy
- Preparation time 10 mins
- Cooking time 25 mins
- Serves 4 people
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 l (1.8pints) chicken stock
- 1 x 400ml tin of unsweetened coconut milk
- 100 ml (3.5fl oz) water
- 6 thin slices of fresh ginger
- 1 stalk of lemongrass, the woody top section discarded and the remainder minced
- 0.5 tsp whole black peppercorns
- 2 chicken breasts
- 130 g (4.6oz) medium Asian egg noodles
- 3 tbsp lime juice (about 1 1/2 limes)
- 3 tbsp Thai fish sauce (nam pla)
- 1 sprig of fresh coriander, chopped
- Heat a saucepan over a moderately low heat. Add some oil and the garlic and stir for 1 minute, until it's fragrant. Add the curry powder and cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the stock, coconut milk, water, ginger root, lemongrass and peppercorns. Bring the mixture to a simmer. Add the chicken and poach it for about 20 minutes, or until it's cooked through.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate. Using two forks, shred the chicken and stir it back into the broth.
- Add the noodles to the soup, stir to soften and simmer for about 3 minutes, taking care not to overcook.
- Add the lime juice and the Thai fish sauce. Taste for seasoning, adding more Thai fish sauce or lime juice as required.
- Using a tongs, divide the noodles among the bowls and ladle the soup over them. Sprinkle with coriander and serve.
You might also like