Classic cheddar and crab tart recipe
by Nathan Outlaw | 3 comments | Print recipeTweet
A delicious cheddar cheese and crab tart, encased in an all-butter pastry. Flavour with tarragon and spring onions.
At a glance
- Cuisine English
- Recipe Type Main
- Difficulty Easy
- Preparation time 10 mins
- Cooking time 40 mins
- Serves 4 people
- 500 g (17.6oz) all-butter pastry block, de-frosted
- 6 free range eggs
- 600 ml (21.1fl oz) double cream
- 1 pinch sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 250 g (8.8oz) Cheddar cheese, diced into small cubes
- 2 tbsp chopped tarragon
- 2 bunches spring onions, sliced
- 250 g (8.8oz) fresh white crab meat
- 50 g (1.8oz) fresh brown crab meat
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 7, 220ºC (425ºF). Roll out the pastry on a floured surface to the thickness of a £1 coin and line a 4cm deep, 20cm round loose bottom flan tin.
- Line the pastry with a circle of greaseproof paper and baking beans. Chill for 10 minutes. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, then remove the paper and baking beans. Brush the inside of the pastry with egg wash and turn the oven down to gas mark 4, 180ºC (350ºF).
- Mix the eggs and cream together and season. Sprinkle the cheese, tarragon, spring onion and crab over the tart case and pour over the egg mixture.
- Bake for 25 minutes until the custard is set and the pastry is golden brown. When the tart is cool slice and serve with a simple seasonal salad.
Recipe provided by Davidstow
You might also like