Sweet caramelised onion and feta tartlets recipe
by Billy Law | 0 comments | Print recipeTweet
Billy Law's veggie tarts make the most of sweet, caramelised onions cooked in sugar, and feta cheese with fresh thyme. Makes about 20 tartlets.
At a glance
- Cuisine English
- Recipe Type Main
- Difficulty Easy
- Preparation time 25 mins
- Cooking time 70 mins
- Serves 10 people
- 80 g (2.8oz) butter
- 2 large brown onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp white wine
- 3 sprigs thyme, leaves picked
- 200 g (7.1oz) feta cheese
- 150 g (5.3oz) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 50 g (1.8oz) chilled butter, cut into cubes
- 1 pinch of salt
- 3 tbsp chilled water
- To make the savoury pastry, put the flour, butter and salt into a food processor. Using the pulse button, process until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. While still processing, slowly add the water to the mixture in a steady stream, until the mixture comes together to form a dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface and flatten the dough into a disc, then wrap in plastic wrap. Place the dough in the refrigerator to rest for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C (340°F). Place the dough on a floured work surface and roll it out to a 3 mm (? inch) thickness. Use an 8 cm (3 inch) cookie cutter to cut the dough into discs, then line a 24-hole mini tart tin with the pastry. Transfer the tin to the refrigerator and let the pastry set for 20 minutes. Remove and prick the pastry bases a few times with a fork. Blind bake the tart cases for about 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool a little, then take the pastry cases out of the tin and rest on a wire rack until completely cool.
- To caramelise the onions, melt the butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onions, sugar and salt and saute for about 35-40 minutes, or until the onions are softened and golden brown. Stir frequently so the onions don't catch on the pan and burn. When the onions are soft, deglaze the pan with the wine, add the thyme leaves and cook until all the liquid has evaporated. Set aside to cool.
- Turn the oven back to 170°C (340°F). Fill the tart cases with the caramelised onion, then top with the feta. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the cheese has melted slightly.
Recipe taken from Have You Eaten? by Billy Law, published by Hardie Grant Books, £25. Available at all good bookshops and online here.
You might also like