Sicilian baby aubergine salad recipe
by Denise Phillips | 3 comments | Print recipeTweet
This is quick to prepare and can be served with meat, fish or adairy meal. It is a tasty salad for a buffet table and does not spoilwith time.
You can use regular-sized aubergines if you cannot find thebaby variety; just slice thickly and cut in half.
At a glance
- Cuisine Sicilian
- Recipe Type Salad
- Difficulty Easy
- Preparation time 5 mins
- Cooking time 15 mins
- Serves 4 people
- 12 baby aubergines, halved lengthways
- 200 ml (7fl oz) extra virgin olive oil
- 25 g (0.9oz) pine nuts
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp raisins
- 1 pinch salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large bunch of fresh basil, to garnish
- Pre-heat the grill/broiler to its highest setting.
- Brush the cut side of the aubergines with a little of the oil and place under the grill, oiled side up.
- Grill for approximately 10-15 minutes until slightly blackened, turning over half way through cooking and checking frequently.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF/Gas mark 6.
- To toast the pine nuts, place on an oven tray in the pre-heated oven for about 5 minutes, or until golden. Remove from the tray and set aside.
- To make the marinade, put the remaining oil, lemon juice, vinegar, garlic, sugar, toasted pine nuts, raisins and salt and pepper in a jug and mix.
- Place the hot aubergines in a dish and pour over the marinade. Leave to cool, turning the aubergines once or twice before serving.
- To serve the stylish way: garnish with sprigs of basil.
Recipe taken from The Gourmet Jewish Cookbook, by Denise Phillips.
You might also like