Mango cream cake recipe
by Shelina Permalloo | 2 comments | Print recipeTweet
A moist, fruity sponge, sandwiched together with a mango purée and double cream filling. There's fresh mango in there, too!
At a glance
- Cuisine English
- Recipe Type Cake
- Difficulty Easy
- Preparation time 20 mins
- Cooking time 45 mins
- Serves 6 people
- 75 ml (2.6fl oz) Alfonso mango purée
- 50 g (1.8oz) unrefined golden icing sugar
- 220 ml (7.7fl oz) double cream
- 2 fresh mangoes - chopped into 1" cubes
- 250 g (8.8oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 250 g (8.8oz) unrefined golden caster sugar
- 1 large vanilla pod, split lengthwise and seeds scraped out
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 250 g (8.8oz) self-raising flour
- 100 ml (3.5fl oz) full fat milk
- 1 pinch salt
- Pre heat the oven to 180°C/160° Fan/ Gas 4 and grease and line 2 x 8" round cake tins.
- Cream together the butter, sugar and vanilla seeds for about 10 minutes until pale and fluffy - this is key to the recipe so it is worth doing this bit well!
- Add the eggs, one by one, beating well between each one.
- Carefully fold in the flour ensuring you don't lose any of the air in the mixture. It may need loosening so use as little milk until you get a dropping consistency.
- Split the mixture into two equal sized portions into the prepared tins and place in the oven for 40-45 minutes until the sponge is golden brown and springs back to the touch, or until a skewer comes out clean. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- To make the filling lightly whip the double cream with the icing sugar until you get a soft peak, then stir in the mango purée.
- Spread this evenly over the cooled sponge cakes (as you would do making a Victoria Sponge). Scatter over the fresh mango pieces and sandwich the cake together.
- Dust the cake with icing sugar. For additional decoration place some of the remaining cream into a piping bag, and using a big star tip crown the cake with stars on the edge and place a piece of mango on each tip. Serve immediately.
Recipe provided by Billington's sugar.
You might also like