Chicken curry recipe
by The Gurkha Chefs | 3 comments | Print recipeTweet
'Kukhura ko Tarkari', or chicken curry to you and I, depends on a marinade of turmeric, curry powder, chilli and ginger for its signature flavour.
The Gurkha Chefs were cooking up this curry as part of ABF The Soldiers’ Charity Big Curry Campaign. Why not organise your own Big Curry and show your support?
At a glance
- Cuisine Indian
- Recipe Type Main
- Difficulty Medium
- Preparation time 15 mins
- Cooking time 60 mins
- Serves 8 people
- 1 kg (2.2lbs) chicken breast (boneless)
- 500 g (17.6oz) onions
- 100 ml (3.5fl oz) oil
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 tbsp tomato paste/puree
- 100 g (3.5oz) tomatoes
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 0.5 tsp chilli powder
- 0.5 tsp turmeric
- 3 cardamom seeds
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaf
- 1 pinch salt, to season
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 0.5 tsp turmeric powder
- 0.5 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ginger/garlic paste
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 150 ml (5.3fl oz) oil of choice
- Combine all the marinade ingredients together in a bowl. Mix well.
- Wash and cut the chicken into desired sizes (rough dice), place in a large bowl and pour over the marinade. Cover and leave to stand for about 30 minutes in a fridge.
- For the curry sauce: peel and roughly chop the onions, crush the ginger and garlic together, wash and roughly chop the tomatoes.
- Make a masala paste by combining the garam masala, turmeric and chilli powder in a small bowl with a little water to make a thin paste.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based saucepan. Fry the cinnamon and cardamom, add the chopped onion and cook until golden brown colour. Add the ginger/garlic paste and cook for further 1-2 minutes stirring constantly to prevent sticking at the bottom of the pan.
- Add the masala mixture, bay leaves and cook for few seconds. Then add the tomato puree and chopped tomatoes. Simmer gently for about 30-40 minutes - a little water may be added at this point to give the right consistency. The sauce is now ready for use. Keep it warm in a pan.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan to smoky hot and shallow fry the chicken in small batches to seal the meat. Remove with a slotted spoon and add to the curry sauce. Continue until all meat is fried.
- Bring the curry to the boil, then add some shopped coriander and spring onions and chilli. Simmer gently until the meat is cooked. Remove any access grease from the sauce; adjust the consistency with corn flour mixed in water.
- Serve sprinkle with coriander and spring onions.
You might also like