Quick pea and chorizo paella recipe
by Mark Sargeant | 3 comments | Print recipeTweet
Not the traditional paella, but close and just as delicious. Hot-smoked fish is actually cooked all the way through, so I would just flake the salmon in large chunks over the finished rice and let the heat warm it gently. My home-made salami recipe goes perfectly alongside, as it's very similar to chorizo.
At a glance
- Cuisine Spanish
- Recipe Type Main
- Difficulty Easy
- Preparation time 10 mins
- Cooking time 30 mins
- Serves 4 people
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 Clove of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 110 g (3.9oz) Chorizo sausage or home-made salami, sliced
- 1 tsp Smoked paprika
- 300 g (10.6oz) Long-grain rice
- 1 l (1.8pints) Hot white chicken stock
- 200 g (7.1oz) Frozen peas
- 1 pinch Sea salt
- 1 pinch Freshly ground black pepper
- 250 g (8.8oz) Hot-smoked salmon fillet. skinned and flaked
- 1 Lemon, cut into wedges
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan and cook the onion and garlic for 5 minutes without browning. Add the chorizo and fry until it releases it oils, then stir in the smoked paprika and rice.
- Keep stirring until the rice is coated in oil before pouring in the stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Tip in the peas and cook for about 5 minutes more, until the rice is done.
- Check for seasoning and serve immediately, finishing with the flakes of salmon and lemon wedges.
Also worth your attention:
More recipes from Mark Sargeant
Restaurant review: Rocksalt - The home of hearty seafare