Shalgam gosht recipe
by Aktar Islam | 2 comments | Print recipeTweet
This dish originated from Kashmir in the winter where turnips were stored in the snow, as they were one of the few vegetables around during the colder months. The heat from the spices and flavours make this a perfect dish for the winter.
At a glance
- Cuisine Pakistani
- Recipe Type Main
- Difficulty Medium
- Preparation time 10 mins
- Cooking time 60 mins
- Serves 5 people
- 1 kg (2.2lbs) Mutton, cut into 2.5cm pieces (preferably on the bone from the leg)
- 10 Small turnips (golf ball size)
- 2 Cassia leaves
- 1 5cm piece of black cardamom
- 2 Cloves
- 100 ml (3.5fl oz) Corn oil
- 2 Large onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 2.5cm piece of ginger, grated
- 6 Cloves of garlic, crushed
- 3 Ripe tomatoes
- 1 tsp Garam massala
- 1 tsp Madras curry powder
- 2 tsp Deghi mirch (ground kashmiri chilli)
- 3 tsp Ground tumeric
- 3 tsp Ground coriander
- 1 tsp Dried fenugreek leaves
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 handfuls Fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 1 l (1.8pints) Water
- Peel and halve the turnip then rub with salt, leave for 10 minutes and rinse. Leave the turnip soaked in cold water.
- Heat a heavy based pot on a moderate heat, pour in oil followed by cassia leaves, cassia bark, black cardamom, cloves; toss for 1 minute.
- Add the onions followed by garlic and ginger and caramelise the onion; then add the lamb and brown the meat slowly.
- Pour in enough water to cover the meat. Boil with the lid on until the water evaporates, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat and allow the oil to separate, before adding madras curry powder, deghi mirch, turmeric, coriander, fenugreek and salt.
- Add 50ml water and cook the spices out once again until the oil separates, then add the tomatoes. Keep stirring occasionally as it can catch at this stage, if so add a drop of water and loosen.
- When the mutton is tender add the turnip.
- Pour over enough boiling water to cover the meat and turnip and boil covered for 10/15 minutes or until the turnip is cooked.
- Sprinkle in the garam massala, adjust the seasoning and add fresh coriander.
Also worth your attention:
More recipes by Aktar Islam
Aktar's restauarant - Lasan restaurant