Roasted cochin style sardines recipe
by Aktar Islam | 1 comment | Print recipeTweet
Sign in to save recipe
Roasted sardines marinated in a spicy sour marinade from the Konkan coast.
At a glance
- Cuisine Indian
- Recipe Type Main
- Difficulty Medium
- Preparation time 15 mins
- Cooking time 25 mins
- Serves 4 people
- 12 Large sardines
- 1 tbsp Garlic and ginger paste
- 1 pinch Sea salt
- 0.5 Lime, juice
- 15 Curry leaves
- 0.5 tsp Black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Deghi mirch
- 0.25 tsp Fennel seeds
- 0.5 Star anise
- 0.5 tsp Salt (adjust to taste)
- 1 Medium onion, chopped
- 75 ml (2.6fl oz) Kokum juice (fish tamarind)
- 75 ml (2.6fl oz) Coconut oil
- 5 Curry leaves
- 0.25 tsp Mustard seeds
- Pre-marinade the sardines with the 1st stage marinade ingredients.
- Blitz all the ingredients for the Kokum massala (2nd stage marinade), until smooth and set aside.
- Temper the marinade, heat coconut oil in a small pan.
- Add mustard seeds and allow to pop, add curry leaves followed by the kokum massala.
- Cook out until the marinade comes together and thickens.
- Allow to cool and sprinkle in fresh coriander and check for seasoning.
- Coat the fish in the cooked kokum massala.
- Pre heat the oven to 180°C.
- Place the fish on the top shelf and roast for 10/15 minutes depending on the size of the fish.
- To check that the fish is cooked pull on the dorsal fins and if the fish is done it will come away easily.
- Serve with a simple salad of red onion, tomato and mixed leaves.
Also worth your attention:
More recipes by Aktar Islam
Aktar's restauarant - Lasan restaurant