Fish pie recipe
by Lesley Waters | 5 comments | Print recipeTweet
A tasty way to enjoy one of your recommended weekly portions of oily fish. It is also a great way to increase your calcium intake from the milk & cheese in the sauce. Although this fish pie contains green beans and spring onion you will need a further portion of veg to count as one of your 5 a day, so why not serve it with a crisp side salad.
Lesley's recipe uses lactose free cheese and milk, which she believes has the same properties in cooking as well as the same taste and nutritional benefits as regular versions, with the obvious benefit of it being a versatile recipe not just for everyone but also the lactose intolerant community.
At a glance
- Cuisine British
- Recipe Type Main
- Difficulty Easy
- Preparation time 10 mins
- Cooking time 60 mins
- Serves 4 people
- 800 g (28.2oz) Potatoes, peeled, cut into even sized chunks - For the mash
- 60 ml (2.1fl oz) Semi-skimmed milk - For the mash
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard - For the mash
- 55 g (1.9oz) Cheese - For the mash
- 500 g (17.6oz) Skinless, boneless salmon fillet, cut into 4 strips
- 100 g (3.5oz) Fine green beans, blanched and refreshed and halved
- 4 Spring onions, chopped
- 30 ml (1.1fl oz) Olive oil - For the sauce
- 2 tbsp Plain flour - For the sauce
- 400 ml (14.1fl oz) Semi-skimmed milk - For the sauce
- 1 Lemon, zest and squeeze of juice - For the sauce
- 3 tbsp Flat leaf parsley, chopped - For the sauce
- Place the potatoes in a pan of cold water, bring to the boil and simmer gently for 25 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile pre heat the oven to 200°C/ 400°F, Gas Mark 6. Place the salmon strips into a roasting tray, and grind over plenty of black pepper. Roast for 8-10 minutes.
- To make the sauce, heat the olive oil in a pan. Stir in the flour and cook out for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in the milk and allow to simmer over a medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season to taste with pepper, lemon juice and stir in the parsley.
- Remove the salmon from oven and allow to cool slightly. Break up the salmon into large bite sized pieces and place in an oven-proof dish. Scatter over the beans and spring onions.
- Add any salmon juices to the sauce and stir well. Pour sauce over the salmon.
- Drain the potatoes well, place back on the heat and mash well until smooth. Stir in the milk, mustard and cheese.
- Top the salmon and sauce with the mashed potato and gently spread out into an even layer.
- Reduce the oven to 190°C, 375°F, gas Mark 5 and cook the fish pie for 25-30 minutes until golden.
Also worth your attention:
Recipe courtesy of lactofree