Roast shoulder of lamb recipe
This is one of our favourite dishes at Cowdray because the 2 day marinating and long, slow cooking time guarantees an extremely moist, deliciously flavoured meat. The balsamic vinegar adds a wonderful glaze to the meat and perfectly complements the richness of the lamb. The Cowdray Butchery has become famous for locally sourced meat of the highest quality and customers come from near and far to purchase their favourite cuts.
- 1 2.3kg shoulder of Cowdray Estate lamb
- 100g (3.5 oz) extra virgin olive oil
- 65g (2.3 oz) peeled garlic cloves
- 1 bunch lemon thyme
- 3g (0.1 oz) ground sea salt
- 1g (0 oz) ground black pepper
- 300g (10.6 oz) peeled shallots
- 100g (3.5 oz) balsamic vinegar
- Cuisine: British
- Recipe Type: Main
- Difficulty: Easy
- Preparation Time: 30 mins
- Cooking Time: 720 mins
- Serves: 5
- Cover your table with enough cling film to wrap the shoulder of lamb.
- Place on it the lamb & coat it with 50g of olive oil, 15g of sliced garlic & 5g of lemon thyme branches.
- Now wrap & seal the lamb & leave in the fridge to marinate for 2 days.
- Pre-heat your oven to 110°C/ 225°F/ Gas 1/4
- Remove the lamb from the fridge & leave it for 2 hours to reach room temperature.
- Remove the thyme & garlic from the lamb & season with the salt & pepper.
- Colour the lamb on all sides in 25g olive oil in a large casserole.
- Remove and colour the shallots.
- Place the lamb back in the casserole & add 50g whole garlic cloves & 10g lemon thyme branches.
- Pour over 25g of olive, cover the pan & place in the oven for 12 hours until the meat is very tender.
- In a separate pan reduce the vinegar by half.
- Add 1g of lemon thyme leaves & the cooking juices from the lamb.
- Reduce until syrupy & pour back over the lamb.
- Return to oven uncovered for 10 minutes, basting regularly.
- Delicious served with creamy mashed potato and roasted root vegetables.
Recipe courtesy of the Cowdray Farm Shop
Also worth your attention:
Be the first to comment
Do you want to comment on this article? You need to be signed in for this feature