Buffalo rendang recipe
Bill tracked down one of the country's rare herd of Buffalo to get the best quality buffalo meat for this delicious and simple redang curry. Perfect served with rice and steamed greens.
- 2 Red onions, roughly chopped
- 5 Cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tbsp Grated ginger
- 6 Large red chillies, seeds removed, roughly chopped
- 3 Stalks lemongrass, white part only, roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp Light-flavoured oil
- 2 tbsp Ground cumin
- 2 tbsp Ground coriander
- 2 tsp Turmeric
- 2kg (4.4 lbs) Buffalo steak, diced
- 400ml (14.1 fl oz) Coconut milk
- 2 Cinnamon sticks
- 1 tbsp Tamarind paste
- 1 tbsp Brown sugar
- Cuisine: Indonesian
- Recipe Type: Main
- Difficulty: Easy
- Preparation Time: 20 mins
- Cooking Time: 125 mins
- Serves: 6
- Combine the onions, garlic, ginger, chillies and lemongrass in a food processor and pulse to a paste.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over a medium heat. Add the paste plus the cumin, coriander and turmeric and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add the buffalo steak and cook for 2 minutes, or until seared.
- Pour in the coconut milk and 400ml water, then add the cinnamon, tamarind paste, sugar and 2 teaspoons of salt. Simmer uncovered for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Serve the beef rendang with rice and steamed greens.
Also worth your attention:
Book: Bill's Basics
Be the first to comment
Do you want to comment on this article? You need to be signed in for this feature