Apricot, honey and pistachio tart recipe
"This tart is inspired by my trips to the Middle East. I love Middle Eastern sweets, with their crusty and flaky pastry dripping with honey or fragrant syrup. This tart is rustic and made to share."
- 100g (3.5 oz) unsalted butter, melted
- 6 sheets of filo pastry
- 500g (17.6 oz) fresh apricots, halved and pitted
- 75g (2.6 oz) light muscovado sugar
- 50g (1.8 oz) clear honey
- 25g (0.9 oz) shelled pistachio nuts, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 125g (4.4 oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 125g (4.4 oz) golden caster sugar
- 65g (2.3 oz) ground almonds
- 65g (2.3 oz) ground pistachio nuts
- 4 drops of almond extract
- 1 tsp pure vanilla paste or extract
- 3 eggs
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- Recipe Type: Dessert
- Difficulty: Easy
- Preparation Time: 25 mins
- Cooking Time: 40 mins
- Serves: 6
- Start by making the filling. Cream the butter and the golden caster sugar together until pale and fluffy. Add the ground almonds and ground pistachios and beat until nice and smooth. Add the almond extract and vanilla and beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (fan 160°C)/350°F/gas mark 4. With a pastry brush, use a little of the melted butter to grease the inside of a 22cm (8½in) diameter, 2.5cm (1in) deep tart tin or baking tin.
- Separate out the sheets of filo pastry, covering those you are not using with a damp cloth to prevent them drying out. Brush some melted butter across 1 sheet of filo and cover the bottom and sides of the tin, leaving about 7cm (3in) of the pastry hanging over the edge of tin. Repeat this operation with another 4 sheets, laying the pastry in a criss-cross pattern to cover the base and inside of the tin.
- Carefully spread the pistachio cream evenly in the base about 2cm (_in) deep. Place the apricots in an informal way on top of the cream (this is a rustic tart!). Sprinkle the muscovado sugar over the apricots. Fold the pastry edges over the filling. Butter the remaining filo sheet, scrunch it up and top the tart, covering the filling.
- Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes, or until the pastry is golden and caramelized and the apricots are soft. Place the tart, still in its tin, on a cooling rack and drizzle all over with the honey. Leave to cool before removing from the tin.
- Sprinkle chopped pistachio nuts over the tart, lightly dust with icing sugar and serve warm, with a generous serving of Greek yoghurt flavoured with vanilla, honey and rose water.
Recipe taken from Tart It Up! by Eric Lanlard.
You might also like
Be the first to comment
Do you want to comment on this article? You need to be signed in for this feature