Leek hot pot recipe
This dish is a beautiful side dish for both meat and fish. It can also be served as a starter on its own or as a main course with a salad for lunch or a light dinner.
- 4 large leeks, trimmed and halved
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 30g (1.1 oz) butter
- 150g (5.3 oz) Fontina cheese, cubed (or substitute with Emmenthaler or Gruye`re)
- 200ml (7 fl oz) heavy cream
- 50g (1.8 oz) breadcrumbs, dry
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- Cuisine: Italian
- Recipe Type: Side
- Difficulty: Easy
- Preparation Time: 15 mins
- Cooking Time: 15 mins
- Serves: 4
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C / 350F / Gas Mark 4. Trim and wash the leeks. Cut them in half.
- Into a grill pan, pour the olive oil, heat it and, when hot, put the leeks on to braise for 5 minutes, constantly turning them. Grease 4 ovenproof moulds/bowls with butter.
- Cut the cheese into very small cubes. Mix the leeks with the cream, the cheese, salt and pepper then fill the moulds/bowls with this mixture. Sprinkle a generous amount of breadcrumbs over the top of each.
- Bake for 10 minutes until the breadcrumbs are golden and the cheese is melted. Serve hot.
Recipe taken from Versatile: Cooking & Living Italian. Image courtesy of ACC Editions.
You might also like
Be the first to comment
Do you want to comment on this article? You need to be signed in for this feature